Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer 2011 Washington D.C. to Milwaukee, WI (Day 1, June 22, 2011)

This Blog records my bicycle trip from Washington D.C. to Milwaukee, WI and my exploration of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP). I expect the trip to be somewhere around 1500 miles. If all goes well, I ought to be in Richmond by the end of the first week in August. I welcome any comments and suggestions about my trip. Thank you for following me!

We left Washington on the C&O Canal Trail in Washington D.C. late Wednesday morning. The C&O Canal Trail (http://bikewashington.org/canal/) is a beautiful 180 mile, traffic-free route that runs from Georgetown to Cumberland, MD. At one time, the trail was the canal towpath. It has since been converted to a recreational park. Since we had such a late start, we didn’t cover as much mileage as we had intended on doing. We stopped for the night at the Horsepen Branch campsite somewhere around mile 30 of the trail. The Horsepen Branch is one of the many primitive campgrounds located at about every five miles along the trail. As long as one can go without a shower and basic amenities, they are great little spots and are typically serene and scenic. Best of all, they’re free!

No comments:

Post a Comment