Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 6, June 27, 2011

Rest Day

I’m taking a day off from riding today. I’ve been pedaling for five days and am giving my legs a a chance to recover a bit. My primary motivation, however, is to take time writing my blog post and relax at the café. I took a break from my blog and had a pleasant conversation with the Reverend Benson Tummuheirwe from Uganda and his friend Deanna. We talked about the nature of the Divine. Although we disagreed, and I was honest and frank about the philosophical implications of his belief system, I found Rev. Ben to be a most affable and engaging conversationalist who, despite my great theological disagreements with him, remained friendly and good-natured throughout our discussion (as did I, of course). The Rev. Ben was one of those rare men who comes across as exceedingly difficult to dislike--a genuinely nice man. He and Deanna are leading a group of cyclist from Pittsburgh to D.C. to raise money to sponsor Ugandan orphans. The sponsorship helps find homes and provides schooling for the kids. Rev. Tummuheirwe’s organization is called Juna Amagara Ministries.
 
I also enjoyed having a lunch with Mr. Bert van Eck, a retired chemist from the Netherlands. Bert started on the C&O canal trail last week and is going to Portland, OR. This is his first time cyclo-touring in the States. We had a nice conversation about the bike being more of a means of practical transporation in Europe. Bert explained that most Dutch, for example, who live less than three miles from their place of work ride their bikes to work. Most children also ride their bikes to school. Like most of my bike trips, I get to meet so many intresting people from all walks of life. I am, of course, biased, but I have found very few cyclo-tourist who aren't, for the most part, fascinating human beings.

Good-Bye for now. I'm leaving early tomorrow morning to continue on the Allegheny Trail. I shall update my blog when I arrive in Pittsburgh. (If all goes as planned, I should be there Wednesday evening.)

Ron
 
Note: Please refer to the link below for information on Rev. Ben's charity for Ugandan orphans 
 
 
http://www.amagara.org/

1 comment:

  1. Have you ridden the Allegheny trail before? Looks like a great ride. Pittsburgh to Milwaukee is pretty far to ride alone. What if I took the train and met you in Toledo and rode with you to Muskegon? Call me to discuss.

    ReplyDelete