Friday, July 11, 2014

Onward to New Jersey and New York

Assateaugue Island to New Jersey
July 3rd- (60 Miles)

From the Delmarva Penninsula, the shortest route, in terms of mileage, to New Jersey is to take the Lewes-Cape May Ferry in Lewes, DE. It's about a 75 minute ride across the Deleware Bay to Cape May, NJ.

No Problem
Boarding the Lewes-Cape May Ferry










I had an enjoyable morning of riding. As my good luck would have it, I had a tailwind for most of the morning, and I was very grateful. I boarded the ferry to Cape May at around 1:30. By 3:00 I was in Cape May. 

My cousin, Lisa, and her husband, Daryl, live in Manahawkin, NJ. They were expecting my visit within the next couple of days. I called Lisa to let her know that I would be arriving in Manahawkin the following evening since it was about a 75 mile ride from Cape May to Manahawkin. Many on the ferry had been talking about a severe storm that was predicted to hit South Jersey. Lisa expressed some concern and worry about my getting trapped in a storm as I pedaled north to her home, so she gracioulsy volunteered to come and get me. We decided that I would keep riding while she rode south toward me. We met about 15 miles north of Cape May on route 9. 

Daryl and Lisa

View of the Pool from Lisa and Daryl's 2nd story Deck

Lisa and Daryl and invited me to stay a few days with them. Since I hadn't taken a day off since leaving Richmond on June 28th, I accepted their generous invitation happily. I had a wonderful time staying with them. Lisa fed me well. She grilled every night. I got a chance to swim, but I mostly just caught-up with family news as I conversed with Lisa on her deck. We enjoyed a laid-back 4th of July. We ate, watched movies, drank some beer, and listended to classic rock. I found it very relaxing and much more gratifying than going to some big 4th of July picnic.

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of being Lisa's and Daryl's guest on more than a few occasions. They have always been kind and generous hosts, and my latest stay with them was no exception. A good time was had by all.

Manahawkin, NJ-Lake Hopatcong, NJ
July 5th (51 miles)

Having had a great time visiting with my cousin, I said my good-byes. I began pedaling to see my brother, Chris, and his girlfriend, Gina. Chris and Gina have a home in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. I called my brother about 40 miles into my trek north, letting him know my expected arrival. Chris, much to the delight of my legs, offered to drive south about 50 miles to come and get me. (I hope I don't grow to accustomed to getting rides since I'll be running out of relatives and friends within a couple of hundred miles.)

I spent the night at my brother's house. We enjoyed a meal of sweet Italian sausage and London Broil. (My brother knows how to do a London Broil just right). My nephew, Josiah, came by to visit as well. I was glad to see him. I also had the opportunity to meet Gina's sons. I never had the pleasure of doing so. They were polite and engaging young men. Gina's son, Christopher, was a particuliarly interesting person, and I was happy to get a chance to spend some time with him. 

Those who are familiar with MTV's show, True Life, might know him as "Christopher" from the "I'm Deaf" episode from a few years ago. Since Christopher is deaf, and I don't know sign language, it took a little effort, but I was surprised at how well we managed to communicate with each other. (In the process, he did manage to teach me a few signs. It was fun learning the connections to objects and concepts that various signs represent. They have a certain intuitive logic.) 

I had a nice visit, and since I'll be seeing Chris, Gina and their children in a few weeks when we all take a beach week at Emerald Isle, NC, it was especially good to have a chance to meet them in advance. I'll be looking forward to enjoing the beach with everyone.

My brother, Chris, and Gina

Ron and Christopher

I would have liked to stay longer, but I had already spent most of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and my cousin, Lisa's home. I disn't want to feel like I needed to get in shape all over again. The next morning I left Lake Hopatcong and began pedaling north towards New York State. 





No comments:

Post a Comment