Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 11, July 2, 2011



Salem, OH to Akron, OH (52 miles)

Today was uneventful. I would have liked to have gone more miles, but I had stopped to make some blog entries, and the threat of severe thunderstorms inclined me to stop at a place that that offered extra protection from the rain. I stayed under a small pavilion behind a hospital in the suburbs of Akron. It was located a two hundred yards or so from the hospital. I had stopped at a grocery store in Akron to re-supply, so I had some food to cook. I used my portable Primus burner and made some rice and beans.


I plan on getting up early tomorrow and get some miles in before noon, so I can make my blog entries and still have time to cover some distance. Also, I’m getting to the point where I really would like a proper shower.  I intend on finding a campground convenient to my route and clean up a bit.

One more thing: My good friend of many years, Brenda, (She is so sweet that she asks me to text her in the mornings so that she knows I survived the night, unmolested by man or beast; it's nice to know someone worries about you, although her fears are misplaced.) was upset (only moderately so) that I "plugged" McDs in some of my posts. Brenda, you see, is a Vegan. To make amends to her, I promised to do something on my blog to balance out my pitch for McD‘s being a convenient place to charge one‘s electronics and purchase cheap protein when on a bike tour. And, hey, I love vegetables too! I've certainly eaten my share of South Carolina peaches and California plums on this trip. Also, while not an ethical vegetarian, I am opposed to any unnecessary pain caused to any animals we kill in order to eat. I'm more of an animal welfare kinda guy, but I digress.

So, in the spirit of the 4th of July, the day of independence that resulted in the creation of the greatest nation ever conceived in all of world history, whose wealth, power, and achievements have only been rivaled by its unprecedented benevolence, I implore all of you to………………………………..




Until next time,

Ron "Eatin His Veggies" Occhiuto



 



1 comment:

  1. Ron, Tom here from Tom and Chuck that you met at Meyersdale. I see you passed through our area. I live near Akron and grew up outside of the Salem area. From the photo, it appears you cycled across Berlin Lake, nice! On your way back home, feel free to contact me if you need overnight accommodations or any assistance in the Akron area. -- Tom @ crossingmountains.com

    ReplyDelete