Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 12, July 3, 2011

                                    
                                         Town Square in Medina, OH
Akron to Norwalk (62 miles)

Refer to photo above: Medina is a quaint little town west of the Akron suburbs. Unfortunately, this photo does not do the town justice. The town square was beautiful. I stopped and had a cup of coffee at a pleasant shop across the street from the square. The square was tastefully decorated for the Fourth of July celebration. I noticed a board that announced events such as Jazz in the Park, string quartets, art festivals and various other attractions. The town had the look of a middle American town of the late fifties. All the shops surrounding the square were occupied by businesses that appeared to be in operation. The town had such an authentic and uncontrived feeling about it. I would have liked to have stayed for a bit.


I woke up early and ate a few granola bars with peanut butter. I was on the road pedaling by 6:30. I had ridden 50 miles by 11:00 am and was making very good time. As much as I wanted to go on and cover a greater distance, I quit pedaling at about an hour after I eaten lunch. I had found a campground with laundry facilities, and wi-fi and just couldn’t resist stopping for the day. I did my laundry and relaxed for the rest of the day and spent the evening commiserating with some fellow campers, Mary & Austin, a local couple who just wanted to camp for a change of routine. They were kind enough to offer me burgers and beer. I took them up on both offers. As the night progressed, they became even more generous with their beer. I, of course, practiced moderation concerning the beer, since I wanted to wake up fresh and prepared to pedal. After politely declining the continued offer of more beer (about every three to five minutes or so) by my less moderate fellow campers, I thought it better that I go to my hammock to read for a bit and go to sleep. I thanked Justin and Mary for their generosity and wished them well.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Ron

Ron

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your description of the town of Medina. The layout reminds me of the town in Back To The Future. If I'm ever driving through Ohio, I'd like to stop there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying following along with your blog and trip (the second link worked). What a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete