Sunday, July 17, 2011

Days 18-26, July 9th-17th (354 miles)

Northern Wisconsin/Michigan Upper Peninsula


Mural on the Upper Peninsula


I’ve had a difficult time staying current with my blog on this leg of the trip, so I’ve decided to forego my usual format and do something a little different. I’m going to summarize my last week and rather than write very much, I’ll post pics of my trip.

I spent the weekend of the July 9th and 10th resting up at my friend’s home in Milwaukee. To my sheer delight, my buddy, Chris, decided to take a week’s vacation and join me on the road. Chris’ father-in-law has a travel trailer in Fremont, WI. Chris’ wife, Sarah, drove us to Fremont on Sunday evening, and Chris and I left early the next morning on our trip.


Blue Velvet at Lake Michigan

We decided to ride up to Northern Wisconsin and make our way up to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The weather was beautiful. It stayed in the low 70’s for almost our entire trip. We had no flat tires, and it never rained on us. Mote than that, it was so gratifying to have someone with whom to share the sights, especially after having ridden for 17 days solo.

We originally considered going around the entire lake. We soon realized that we simply would not have enough time. We decided to had south, but rather than cover previously traveled territory, we worked out something else. We hired a local sport fishing vessel to ferry us the 25 miles from Cedar River, MI to Door County, WI, a county above Green Bay, WI which forms it’s own peninsula into Lake Michigan. I feel accurate in describing it as the Cape Cod of the Midwest. We pedaled along the Green Bay side of the lake, passing charming little lakeside towns as we went. We ate well; we took lots of pictures; we had fun. Door County was the highlight of our trip.

I hope you enjoy the pics!


Blue Velvet at Cedar Creek Harbor (Where we hired the fishing boat to take us across the lake to Door County, WI)


Relaxing at the Winery



Mural on the Upper Penisula



Sometimes it's difficult to find two trees to sleep between!


Smoked Trout, Bread, Provalone, Wine, and Fresh Tomatoes (Some of the simpler campsite meals are the most enjoyable!)


Calming Scenery (This pic was taken by Chris. I like it.)


Blue Velvet on the Black Pearl (The boat that ferried us across the Green Bay to Door County.)


Capt. Dave (on the left) and Chris, posing with Blue Velvet



Wisconsin Farmland



Chris, loaded up and ready to go.



Riding down main street in one of the many towns I've passed through.


A nice bike path is always welcomed!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks..
    carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete