Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 14, July 5, 2011

Bowling Green, OH to Butler, IN (78 miles)


I made it to Indiana! I wanted to put Ohio behind me. Now, it’s not like all of a sudden the topography changed just because I crossed the state line, but the roads did start to curve a bit, and offered gently (very gently) rolling hills the closer I rode towards Indiana. It was a welcome change from the grid-like arrangement of Ohio roads.

My trip has had psychological highs and lows (as have all my other trips--it‘s just an unavoidable part of the overall experience). Sometimes, when I’m pedaling, listening to the hum of the tires on the pavement, I feel almost one with the machine. My body feels strong; I don’t feel tired; and I’m just taking in the moments. It’s a feeling, for me, bordering on elation. The simple pleasure of coming across as country diner or store, just in time for a break, becomes exaggerated. Food taste better, and I feel satisfied that I am simply existing.

Other times, however, I feel a sense of despair. Today was one of those times. After pedaling nearly 80 miles, there was no campground within 20 miles without my going well of my course. I didn’t feel like stealth camping, and I wanted a shower. While I’ve a gone a few days without a shower on this trip before, I just didn’t want to do so right now. The joy of crossing into Indiana an hour earlier was diminished instantly. I felt lonely, and I missed having my riding buddy, Shelton, with me. I was have difficulty finding a place to camp. Everywhere I looked seemed unsuitable. I finally found a stand of trees on the side of the road that I thought would work. The last thing I wanted to happen was to be kicked-off someone’s land for trespassing, so I needed a place that I felt was stealthy. One of the nice things about my Hennessey Hammock is that it hides itself well. It’s Army green and blends into a stand of trees imperceptibly, provided there are enough trees. I set-up the hammock. I hid my bike and equipment under the rain-fly to my hammock. (My bike and bags have so much reflector tape on them that they light-up like Christmas trees if any headlights happen to shine on them.)

At about 9:00 or so, I crawled into my hammock, safe from the plentiful mosquitoes, and started reading a book on my Nook (I’m in the process of reading the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. It’s quite fun). Before long, feeling that I was well-hidden, no longer sweating, and reading comfortably, I began to feel better again. I felt content lying in my little cocoon somewhere in a small stand of trees in Indiana between Route 6 and a railroad track. That’s the funny thing about these trips. The gloom doesn’t last. Given the proper attitude, soon all will be well. Life is good!

In any event, tomorrow night I’m treating myself to a motel!

Ron “Always Keeping His Chin Up” Occhiuto

1 comment:

  1. Are you planning a route through Chicago? Because you should be heading north (NNW) if you want to catch the ferry across Lake Michigan. My guess is you got a look at the ferry cost of $95+ and balked.

    ReplyDelete